⭐️ Stay up to date about new jobs by signing up for our job mailing list.
AppSignal provides amazing insights into the workings and effects of applications. We do this by offering All-in-One Ruby & Elixir Application Monitoring. Our service is used by thousands of developers around the world to catch errors, track performance, monitor hosts, collect metrics and get alerted.
Our company is built on a strong foundation of a vision and values. We spend time and effort developing and maintaining this. We prioritize impact over ego and status. We are open about our flaws and we constantly improve the way we work. We hope you too are relaxed, honest and down to earth. If you are excited by what AppSignal is building, you should definitely apply for this position.
AppSignal is a fast growing company, fueled by profit, without having to lean on Venture Capital. We are here for the long run.
The role, responsibility and impact
AppSignal has a new position for an Editor in Chief for the blog and the other content we want to publish. At AppSignal our vision for marketing is “Amazing Impressions”. Instead of boring advertising, we believe in content marketing and helping our community of developers. Central to our content marketing activities is our blog. We publish amazing content.
We want to bring our content efforts to another level. That is where you come in.
You will need to have enough experience to coordinate your own work and that of guest authors. You will also need to be able to come up with strategies and create plans to bring our blog to the next level. That probably means you have more than 3 years of working experience in a similar role.
You will be responsible for the success of the blog
- Find new topics, find new writers.
- Plan topics and writers, and keep writers inspired and happy.
- Improve the flow and contents of articles, and get them ready for publishing. Because not all great programmers are great writers without help.
- Get the articles spell checked.
- Think of new sources of content.
- Post the content, write the tweets and the select images for the blog.
- Discover which subjects, titles and visuals work well and which don’t. You will make those discoveries explicit and improve based on that.
- You will make new plans for the blog.
- You will initiate projects like creating new sections in the blog. For example, extend our current topics to cover new programming languages and frameworks.
- You will think of new angles about the topics we cover.
This is you
- You combine editorial and writing skills with an interest in programming. Ideally, you have done some coding for a hobby project.
- For example, that means you can rewrite an introduction to an article because you don’t mind finding out what a tuple is if they write about that. Because you are curious, and from Googling or reading some Stack Overflow, you can figure out what it is.
- Your English is impeccable (as the British might say?), you are a (near-) native speaker and writer.
- You can make an article more fun or easier to read.
- You like to combine hands-on editing with thinking about the bigger picture.
- You like to work in a way that makes the world a bit better, in a team that tries to make things better for developers and ourselves every week.
- AppSignal is a remote company. Our team works from home or a desk / office in a workspace nearby. We'll meet in person at least once a month on Fridays, and have a weekly demo and retrospective to stay in sync.
- This is a remote job, but we meet at least once a month in Amsterdam, Utrecht or The Hague, so you need to be able to get there within an hour or three. You’ll have a budget to rent a workplace, because we believe working remotely can be better when not-from-home.
- You like to work at an informal company (no, that's not a codeword for chaos in the workplace; we've been running businesses since 2002).
- You like to work in a growing, profitable company with a proven business model and an experienced team (we don't need to chase VC money to survive).
- You like working with developers, designers and customer care folks.
- You like to develop yourself. Our team and team members receive coaching by a professional coaching company, and we offer a training budget so you can keep learning.
We're a company of people from all sorts of education and backgrounds. Each with our own talents and flaws. But we would love to get more diverse in thought and background. And more diverse in talents and flaws ;-) We welcome people of all backgrounds, ages, genders and orientations to apply for this position. Join us if you value a company where you can feel safe and work together with a team full of diverse ideas. We want you to feel that you make a difference by doing your best work, and that the rest of the team also sees and values that.
Why you'll love working with us
At AppSignal we don't only help developers, but try to be amazing in everything we do. From design, the blog, to code quality, to support and our upgrade policies.
If you love how we work together at AppSignal, you should apply. Our salaries are competitive and our total package is amazing and has great perks: working remote, unlimited vacation days with a 20-day minimum and a yearly personal development budget. But our vision and culture should be the primary reason you want to work with us, as opposed to money, status or power.
Applying from outside the Netherlands
We welcome applications from outside the Netherlands, but you should be mindful of the following: In the future, we want to become a fully remote company, spread out over different time zones. In the current phase of our company we have experienced great benefits in meeting face to face regularly.
We will take each application seriously, but your ability to attend face-to-face meetings once a month plays a strong role in our hiring decision.