⭐️ Stay up to date about new jobs by signing up for our job mailing list.
AppSignal is a product that helps software developers to fix errors in their web applications, improve performance, and more. We’re used by many thousands of developers around the world.
Our company is built on a strong foundation of vision and values. We spend time and effort developing and maintaining this. We prioritize impact over ego and status. We are open about our flaws and we constantly improve the way we work. We hope you too are relaxed, honest and down to earth. If you are excited by what AppSignal is building, you should definitely apply for this position.
AppSignal is a fast growing company. We’re fueled by profit, without leaning on venture capital. We’re here for the long run.
The role, responsibility and impact
AppSignal has a new position for a Support Engineer. Currently, our development team rotates support duties on a weekly basis answering technical, product and billing questions. This new role will help us improve a few things:
- We enable the development team to focus on its primary tasks.
- Our support will stay consistent and reliable while we grow.
- We'll spot and keep track of patterns in support, so we can improve our product, documentation, etc.
- We’ll gather responses and create protocols for common questions around our product and billing.
For this role, you’ll need to build knowledge about our product, the technology behind our product and the processes in place for onboarding, upgrades and billing. You’ll need (at least) a basic understanding of web development and programming concepts. You do not need to be a programmer yourself, but having experience writing code would be beneficial to the role.
This role has regular working hours in your local timezone.
You’ll be responsible for triaging 100% of the issues and (after training and onboarding) answering up to 75% of the questions yourself. These are the main parts of your work:
You’ll respond to incoming support during business hours. You’ll answer questions yourself, and will triage and route other questions to the right teams.
Suggest/make documentation improvements
You’ll improve our documentation yourself, or create issues that describe what needs improvement.
Managing bigger or recurring issues
Some bugs will be solved right away. Other issues might be bigger, or recurring. You’ll create (or add information to) issues in GitHub, and will discuss a course of action with developers. You communicate with affected customers about the progress of these issues.
Processing customer feedback
When customers have feedback about our product, or request features, you’ll create issues or tally the interest in existing issues.
This is what you have to offer
- Excellent English communication skills, in speaking and writing.
- You love the developer industry and are not afraid of learning how code works.
- You have no problem switching context.
- You like to work in a way that makes the world a bit better, in a team that tries to make things better for developers and ourselves every day.
- This is a remote job, but we meet once a quarter (if travel is safe, considering Covid-19) in The Netherlands so you’ll need to reside at a reasonable travel distance (flight / train ride, expenses covered).
- You like to work at an informal company (no, that's not a codeword for chaos in the workplace; we've been running businesses since 2002).
- You like to work in a growing, profitable company with a proven business model and an experienced team.
- You like working with developers, designers, customer care folks and finance people.
- You like to develop yourself. Our team and team members receive coaching by a professional coaching company, and we offer a personal development budget so you can keep learning.
This is what we have to offer
- Competitive salary, based on skills and experience.
- Budget to rent a workplace, because we believe working remotely can be better when not-from-home.
- Unlimited vacation days (with a minimum of 20 days).
- Personal development budget.
Room to grow:
- Our company is reshaping as we grow, and so can you, with this role.
- You’ll shape this role together with us. In the future, you can take on more responsibilities than currently described.
We're a company of people from all sorts of education and backgrounds. Each with our own talents and flaws. But we would love to be even more diverse in thought and background. And more diverse in talents and flaws ;-)
We welcome people of all backgrounds, ages, genders and orientations to apply for this position. Join us if you value a company where you can feel safe, and work together with a team full of diverse ideas. We want you to feel that you make a difference by doing your best work, and that the rest of the team also sees and values that.
Why you'll love working with us
At AppSignal we don't only help developers, but try to be amazing in everything we do. From design, the blog, to code quality, to support, our upgrade policies and business operations.
If you love how we work together at AppSignal, you should apply. Though our salaries are competitive and we have some great perks, our vision and culture should be the primary reason you want to work with us, as opposed to money, status or power.
Applying from outside the Netherlands
For this role we prefer applicants to reside within the CET timezone. This is a remote job, but we occasionally meet in the Netherlands, so it’s preferred you reside at a reasonable travel distance (train journey or short flight, expenses covered).